Homeowners Liability Insurance Coverage
You’ve made sure to insure your home to its replacement value, and you’ve conducted a thorough home inventory. You’ve called your insurer and reviewed your property coverage. You may be well protected in the event of any fire, theft, or natural disaster, but what about an accident or injury? If a guest gets injured or their property is damaged and you are at fault, you could be looking at covering their medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, and legal fees if they decide to sue. Fortunately, the personal liability portion of your home insurance in Vancouver, WA covers this. But do you have enough liability coverage?
Besides making sure you have enough protection to cover possible damage to your own home and contents, you should also evaluate your exposure to liability risks. These result from damage to the property of another, or an injury to a person for which you can be held responsible. Below are just a few facts about homeowners liability you may not have known:
- Property owners must keep their property safe, even for those that trespass.
- A homeowner can be held liable for any dangerous conditions that go unrepaired.
- Homeowners are responsible for their pets. There are certain breeds of dogs that are blacklisted against being insured, such as pit bulls.
- The homeowner can be held responsible for everything from an icy walkway to leaving tools out of a shed that can cause harm to a visitor.
- Even if you prevail in court, your legal fees can be a terrible burden on you and your family.
If you have items in your backyard that are risk hazards, such as a pool, hot tub, or swing set, your insurer may require you to purchase additional coverage. To protect your assets against risks, you can either:
- Increase the amount of liability coverage included in your home policy to help cover the cost of a large legal claim, medical fees, and property damage.
- Buy an umbrella policy that will kick in when your home/auto/other liability coverage limits have been exhausted.
Do you have enough coverage? When accidents do happen, you can rely on quality homeowners insurance from the team at Action Insurance Group. We serve residents in WA, OR, CA, ID, and UT – Contact us today to get started.
Comments are closed.